More from Motoring

Force Motors and Rolls-Royce Power Systems have entered a joint venture wherein the former will manufacture 10- and 12-cylinder engines. Called Force MTU Power Systems, the new JV will be making Series 1600 engines for power generation and rail underfloor applications.

The facility will be set up in Chakan, and Force Motors will hold a 51 per cent share while Rolls Royce Power Systems the remaining 49 per cent. First engines will start rolling out in 2019, and the JV will also enable Force MTU to manufacture generator sets. These will be branded Force MTU in markets like India, Sri Lanka, and Nepal; while in the rest of the markets, they’ll come with MTU Onsite Energy branding.

MTU’s 10- and 12-cylinder Series 1600 engines, which will be made by Force MTU, have a power output ranging from 545 hp to 1050 hp. More than Rs 300 crores are being invested and the new manufacturing facility be made keeping the high standards set by Rolls Royce Power Systems in mind. Force will aim at increasing localisation without compromising on the quality. The JV will also be responsible for the sales and service for generator sets.

Prasan Firodia, MD of Force Motors said, “It’s a matter of great pride and honour for us that Rolls-Royce Power Systems has chosen to partner with Force Motors not only for production of engines but also for production and engineering of the whole genset system. This tie-up comes after our successful cooperation with Mercedes and BMW and will open up numerous opportunities for growth and diversification. I see exciting times ahead, since we are set to play a pivotal role in bringing to India and making in India cutting-edge, top-of-the-line engines for multiple applications.”

President and CEO for Rolls Royce Power Systems, Andreas Schell said, “This Joint Venture opens new opportunities for a bright future with ourSeries 1600 products. In Force Motors we have found a reliable partner whose excellent production quality is proven by decades of experience in building engines for premium automotive brands. Once serial production capabilities for 1600 units have been established within the joint venture, we will have opportunities to add other applications, engines and power systems to the JV portfolio,” he added. Our joint venture combines the strengths of the two partners: Rolls-Royce Power Systems’ cutting-edge technology in reciprocating off-highway engines, and Force Motors’ long-standing experience in top quality manufacturing with access to the Indian market. For us, it’s the perfect fit.”